I have been a member for many years and have always used and "trolled" the for sale forums. I have noticed more and more a couple of items that should be stated based on my experience.
1. ALL: If you just don't like a price or the item for sale, do not make a comment in the sellers thread.
2. Seller: Your parts and or car are not "Minty" or "9/10" if you have to add an explanation after like "Minty, almost perfect...."small tear and seat doesn't recline", "all tires 9/10...one needs replacing" "Paint is excellent, but needs new fender" Minty = perfect or as close to it as possible....Minty does not allow for explanation.
3. Buyer: If you are going to PM someone and ask if they will take a offer lower than the asking price, don't disappear. You made an offer, the seller accepted. Don't Flake
4. Seller: Do not try to sell fake parts as the real deal. Saying "I don't know if these are real, I got them from a buddy" really means " My $hit is fake but I am going to try to sell it as real until I get caught and then I will pull the add" You are a borderline Scammer!
5. Buyer: If you and the seller come to an agreement....stick to it (unless something is discovered or changes with the part, car etc)......Don't low ball someone and then when it comes time to pick it up say "will you take $xx.xx for it. If it is exactly as described.....pay and be on your way.
6. Seller: If you are selling a car "and it only needs a $50 part to get it running". Go get the $50 part, you will probably get at least 10x more for the car running than not. It is a red flag if you are too lazy to go get the part and fix it yourself. It also says I don't really know what it needs but I will try to sell it anyway. (If the price is low enough then the buyer may be getting a good deal)
7. Buyer: BEWARE!!!! It is only your responsibility to look over what you are purchasing. If it is a car, most dealerships will do a pre-purchase inspection for $100......It is $100 well spent for a tech to look at it and let you know the ball joint is about to fall off or the frame has a rust hole in it. If the seller won't take it to the dealer or let you take it there...walk away.
If it is a part with a few pieces, look up the part online and look for instructions....Most have a parts list of what should be included. Verify those before you purchase. If it is something else, do not be afraid to ask a lot of questions. An honest seller will give you straight answers with no holes in their story or missing information. Use your gut instinct.......If it sounds to good to be true...it is.
7: Seller: If you have had the same thing on here for 2 months straight, bumping it everyday and it has not sold one of three things 1: Your price is too high. 2: You have the wrong audience (try another site) 3: You are trying to sell junk. Your junk is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
8: Buyer: If you are unhappy with your purchase because it was not as described or doesn't work....DO NOT MAKE A POST....Contact the seller (polity) and explain the situation (In PM or Email to document it) Try to come to a conclusion on your own. If that doesn't work and you feel you need to post....find the correct forum.
Some random "safety items" I use to protect my money and myself when buying and selling:
I purposely use CC and or PayPal for most transactions because they have buyer protection if there is a discrepancy.
I start communication with PM or email and then call the person on the phone. I make small talk and ask a few question about their car and where they live. Google is your friend....look up their address and or phone number to verify they say they are who they are.
Look at their profile here and click on the link to see all of their posts. You can find phone numbers, names, who they hang with, location and see other items they have purchased or sold.....It is all there in posts they have made.
Don't bring people to your house and try to avoid going to theirs (if possible). Try to meet at any public place that is well lit and possibly has cameras....(Gas stations, Meijers, CVS, Walmart...whatever)
Sorry I typed this fast and just cleaned up some spelling and grammatical errors!
Last edited by Mr. Pink; 05-24-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Insert cool car here, with cool mods, fast track and 1/4 times.
Xceed Member #298