Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPEED World Challenge Focus.........Restoration

SPEED World Challenge Focus.........Restoration

EDIT Sorry. pics are gone. Album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/team_i...57675062456295

We'd like to introduce our latest project car. We recently purchased this ex-SPEED World Challenge Focus. Some of you may recognize it.

As you can see it was sponsored by FOCALJET for a while. here's a thread that documented the involvement. http://forums.focaljet.com/focus-roa...challenge.html

HISTORY
    This is what we know about the cars history. We assume it was built by 3R Racing in Colorado for the Speed World Challenge in maybe 2005 or 2006. Robb Holland drove it at Infineon Raceway in 2006 but we haven't found any other races. It may have had FILA decals before the FOCALJET ones.

In mid 2007 it was sold to PDMC Motorsport, a race team associated with Oakland University in SE Michigan. The team had plans to run the final three rounds of the Speed World Challenge at Mosport, Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca. It was to be piloted by Jeff Nowicki who happens to live round the corner from me though I have yet to meet him. It did run at Mosport and qualified 23rd and finished 17th. It also won the B&M Holeshot Award; whatever that is. Story here http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/06/u...irst-pro-race/ . It is unclear whether it ran at Road Atlanta or Leguna Seca. I suspect not.

After this, from word on the street, the program ran into some legal issues and the car sat for awhile. it was then purchased by a local car collector for his young son to race but that never happened so late in 2013 it was sold to another local car enthusiast who passed it on to a friend of mine who then sold it to us. So it's been passed around a lot but seems not to have been abused, too much.

CURRENT CONDITION
    As the car sits it does not run. It seems as if it has been pillaged of a few of it's parts but not what you might expect. It is missing axles, the throttle body is not bolted on but the wires are connected. Apparently it had no intake manifold when it emerged into the local community but one of the previously mentioned owners put a Cosworth unit on. that is why the throttle body is and intake are not connected. They don't fit. It is missing a window net too and all the fluids. It does turn over but pisses out fuel from the fuel filter. The battery is fully charged and seems to hold it. The ECU (PECTEL) seems to have a tune in it too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by limeylight; 09-07-2017 at 04:57 PM.
    Paul Eddleston
    Team Illuminata Motorsport
    "Racing At The Speed Of Light"
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

COOL STUFF
    Make no mistake, this is a proper race car. I can't imagine what it cost to build but maybe more than my house. We didn't pay house money for it though. Here's a quick run down of some of its highlights:

Gutted interior, Cage

Lexan windows, CF tailgate

Composite splitter

Fuel cell, Air jacks

Motec dash and data logger

Composite rear wing (used to be on the tailgate)

Forgeline RS wheels, AP brakes

Custom exhaust manifold

Cosworth intake manifold

Composite dash

Pedal box

Proflex dampers

Custom wiring harness, Brake bias adjuster

Racetech seat

Pectel ECU
    Quaife gearset
    LSD?
    Side exit exhaust
    Composite hood
    12.8:1 compression ratio

PLANS
    So what shall we do with this beast? Well, we feel the car deserves to run again, hopefully flat out. So wed like to get it driving once more. Its going to need some axles, fluids, intake and probably a tune to achieve that goal. Of course we cant run Forgeline wheels on the car, excellent thought they are, because we are the North American importer of BRAID wheels. We have some Fulrace As on their way as we speak. 17x8, +27 offset, 4x108. Just like the Forgelines.

Yes, they will be white. We also need to get some yellow vinyl on the car to make it match our others. It's uncanny how close to the BRAID blue the car is right now. Just needs some yellow and big BRAID stickers on the side and it will look like it's always been part of the family.

If we are successful restoring it to a running, viable race car then maybe well run a few autocrosses and track days with it this year. That would be nice. What would be really nice would be to see it race on the track again. It is a race car after all. Apparently it should be legal for SCCA STU class if we tweak a few things. The intake manifold will need to be stock but we have one of those on the way. Not sure what else we need to do. Oh, and we'll have to find a driver. Mr. Nowicki, are you reading this? There is even the possibility of running it in a hill climb, in Michigan!

If there are suitable car shows in the area we might take it there, but of course we'd have to trailer it. Woodward Dream Cruise would be fun for instance. Maybe the Ford dealer in Royal Oak would host it. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

So what do you think? Subscribe to this thread and let us know. Look out for updates and to answer all our dumb questions. There will be plenty.
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Excellent! I am looking forward to this build. You always have great build threads, and a proper race car as a starting point should be great.
    No longer a member of the website formally known as a2sc.

Quote Originally Posted by the_momo View Post
    Excellent! I am looking forward to this build. You always have great build threads, and a proper race car as a starting point should be great.
    Thanks. It's a good starting point. I could never get to where this car is now on my own.
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Where is there a hillclimb event in Michigan ?
    2006 Legacy GT Wagon
    2003 Sti Wagon Conversion
    Part Nocturnal Honeybadger and Part Jeremy Clarkson
    Youtube http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR9dFmgscOogL5zOydUWXwA
    Instagram / Facebook @JN_Garage

I remember that car, I banged some dents out of it at PDMC. Krispl was probably the most involved at PDMC as he was an assistant to that professor. He might be able to confirm some more of the race history for you. I thought it ran at least 2 races, all on the same set of Toyo's.
    Getting wrenched on since '01

Quote Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
    Where is there a hillclimb event in Michigan ?

Empire near TC

https://www.facebook.com/EmpireHillClimbRevival

September 2014
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It's really encouraging to hear. We were a bit nervous buying this as we didn't know if others would appreciate it. Looks like we found our audience. We are now even more inspired to get it up and running again.
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Quote Originally Posted by scotthidley View Post
    I remember that car, I banged some dents out of it at PDMC. Krispl was probably the most involved at PDMC as he was an assistant to that professor. He might be able to confirm some more of the race history for you. I thought it ran at least 2 races, all on the same set of Toyo's.
    Can you put me in touch with some of the people associated with the PDMC involvement? We'd really like to learn more about the history of this car and perhaps get some insight into how to make it run again.
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Subscribed!
    mmmmmm... Beer

Distinguished Member
    I performed some work on this car back in the PDMC days and worked on the pit crew at Mosport. I believe it also ran at Road Atlanta but I did not attend that race.

I emailed a friend of mine who was most involved with the team, hopefully he will reach out to you and provide more history.

Used to love watching Speed World Challenge touring car racing- very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Krispl View Post
    I performed some work on this car back in the PDMC days and worked on the pit crew at Mosport. I believe it also ran at Road Atlanta but I did not attend that race.

I emailed a friend of mine who was most involved with the team, hopefully he will reach out to you and provide more history.
    That's great information. I'd love to have you over to the shop to see the car and pick your brain.
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

I'd like those wheels you have on it now!
    2004 SVT FOCUS, #55 STF
    2003 Buell XB9S

Quote Originally Posted by wordyahurdd View Post
    I'd like those wheels you have on it now!
    They are for sale.

Forgeline RS
    17x8
    +30 offset approx.
    4x108.

Looking for $1200.
    Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Distinguished Member
    Nice...
    2007 Honda Pilot EX-L, 2012 Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 Crew cab, 2012 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide.
    1989 Conquest TSI SHP "Full restore going on with motor build."
    1988 Conquest TSI 440 BB going in.

Awesome! the ford focus was what got me involved in the cars/community as it was my first car!

excited to see what you guys do with this.
    ~Brad
    '02 C5 Z06

We got it up on stands and took the wheels off:

Which means we can now offer the wheels for sale:

They are Forgeline RS in polish aluminium.
    17x8
    +30 approx. (measured)
    4x108
    17lbs

No tires, straight, clean and look like they should polish up nicely. Complete with lug nuts M12x1.5

$1200 obo.

Paul Eddleston
    paul@TeamIlluminata.com
    www.TeamIlluminata.com

Very cool. Another great project to follow
    09 Silver Car
    95 White Car

Global Mod

Quote Originally Posted by JakeBP View Post
    She's going to the dr for the 12 in coke can dong incident.
    Quote Originally Posted by b16bronco View Post
    The next DSM shootout is gonne be on the face

This car is awesome... It gives me so many Ideas! cant wait to see how it goes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast